Friday, April 18, 2014

Taper week again

Was wondering how this week was going to go.  Last time I did a half, i took a full week off and did nothing.  This time, I didn't have that luxury of taking time off because my next half is next saturday.  I did four miles on monday and my legs felt like full LEAD.  I was struggling to keep up with an 11 minute mile and miss stella was pulling me most the way.  I had decided not to care about pace but I still was looking.  Need to learn to not even carry my watch because I can't not look at it.  My legs felt pretty tired and sore so I decided to knock back my repeats for wednesday to 6 versus 8.  I have been trying to stretch and hydrate as much as possible to help with my recovery and I don't think i could do anything any differently.

 Wednesday was extremely windy.  I am not joking, it was sustained winds out of the SSW at 34 with gusts up to 41 MPH!  I had weird day in that my blinkers has gone out on my van monday and I had taken in to the auto parts store in wamego to see if I could get a fuse and they had said, oh we work on vehicles, let us take a look at it.  Well, I had taken it back in on wednesday and had decided to hang out while they figured out the issue, thinking it was just a fuse.  They called me about 11 and told me that it was just a fuse so i picked it up and headed in to manhattan to work, only for them to go back out.  Turned around, took it back and they worked on it all day so I decided to get my run in during the day.  Because of this, the track was being used and I couldn't run in the industrial park due to traffic.  Stella and I headed out to the nearest gravel to try and reduce the amount of traffic yet still be close enough for a mile warm up and cool down.  I made sure to go into the wind for recovery and with the wind at my back for running.  I wanted to keep an 8 minute pace on my repeats and I am happy to say that was well under that for each.  Even had one lap that was 1:48:) I was so happy because my legs felt great and my pace was easy.  Even though the wind was howling on my way back, I felt like I was floating.  Hello fitness, glad to see you are back!  I am so ready to do more speedwork now!  I have a shorter long run that I am hoping to run tonight since this weekend will be so busy with the easter holiday.  Next week is also pretty light as we get ready for The Garmin marathon!

Free pics from the Rock the Parkway Race!

My new finish line pose.  Rock on!

No comments:

Post a Comment