Monday, March 7, 2011

Baby-D evolution

Another two days of trialing behind us and alot to work on but alot to be proud of. Baby-D had three classes on saturday and two on sunday. We started out with Open FAST and a very fun send that involved a panel jump to one end of a curved tunnel and then back over the panel jump the opposite way. I opted to try and get all the points and really push him to see where we were at. I had a wrap on a triple planned and a threadle from the tire to a jump tunnel sequence. I also had him coming out of the send at full force back to the weaves. I am proud to say that other than a little bit of a wide wrap from the triple, he executed the course wonderfully with fast contacts (teeter and a-frame) and got all 80 points BUT was coming out of the tunnel when the buzzer sounded so had to take 4 points off to get to the finish jump. Oh well, it was a blue, it was a fun fast run and I was SUPER pleased. He hit those weaves like a pro and I was so proud of him. Then came jumpers. I am not sure what happened in jumpers but as they say, the wheels fell off. He didn't read my cue to take part of the jump in front of me and opted to jump behind me and take the wrong end of the tunnel and then proceed to take the wrong end of the tunnel again. Got him back on course, got going and coming off a straight line of jumps to a turn back, said "turn" and he ran past the jump and then turned. He opted to take the tunnel yet again when it was time to weave, but got him back, rear crossed as he was entering the poles and finished with a front to the last jump. While the majority of the run was a train wreck, I am very proud of his weaves yet again. Third run was standard and boy was he smoking. Apparently the wheels got put back on:) I was running as hard as my little legs could to keep up with him. We started off great and had a pin wheel which started out going straight at the weaves. The weaves were calling his name, which honestly, I am happy with him wanting them, so I didn't care that he passed the jump he was suppose to take looking at them. Got him back, did get a back jump but still okay one R and one W, still good to go. Was headed up the dog walk and there was the big curved tunnel around the entry to the dog walk. I tried the shape the line so that the dog walk made more sense but I must have shaped it wrong as he said, yeah, tunnel is right mom. Oh well, there goes the Q but finished great with a nice collection into the weaves poles with me front crossing to the end. Overall other than that silly jumpers run, I was very happy with him listening and responding to the cues. He was still a bit obstacle focused but it is becoming less and less, well, except for maybe jumpers:)

Sunday didn't have fast but he was in the crate from 7 until 1 waiting to run. I got him out several times and just played with him running and tugging and also some warm up jump stuff. We had standard first this time and he started out in bit in obstacle focus, focusing on the table, which was not the correct next obstacle which made our front cross a little sloppy. Next was teeter and then a straight line two jumps to the chute and then back to the dog walk. So far so good, great contacts on both the teeter and the dog walk. Then we had an interesting line involving a jump, through a box that had sides consisting of another jump and a-frame to the double. Boy did he ever look at the a-frame but was a good boy although a bit wide so I had to turn him back to the table. Still clean so having to choke down the oh shits. Jump to the a-frame with a super contact, jump tunnel weaves with me front crossing him out of the tunnel into the weaves. NAILED the entry, but hearin lies the problem. There was a panel jump at the end of the weaves which he was NOT suppose to take but it was calling his name something powerful so about weave pole 9 or so he decided he couldn't hold back, he had to go take it and he did. No biggie, just one W, still okay, got him back redid the weaves and the little joker did it again. I had one more chance to redo but what if he did it wrong again? Three obstacles from the end we did the walk of shame. What a great run to end in him having to leave the course:( He knows his job, didn't have to say anything to him and I think it worked because in jumpers, he nailed his entry and stayed in the poles, even with me running ahead of him. GOOD BOY!!!! Jumpers again was an off course issue but it is just a timing issue that I have to get over. It is so me, I am use to a dog reading my body language and just doing instead of me constantly having to be verbal so I just have to learn to be more verbal till he gets it. You can hear me on the video tape say "here, here" WAY too late. The funny thing was, he got his turn this time beautifully and we were heading to the end and I said "here" to pull him a little and he came all the way to my hand which left out two jumps. I was proud, I said "here" and he came "here" which is what I wanted and I got it. GOOD BOY! I finished the course and was so happy with him for being so responsive on that course. The off course was so my fault that I didn't even care about it. Overall, other than being a little miffed at him for taking that jump and not staying in the poles, I was very happy with how well he did. I am starting to see more maturity and starting to see him put together a total run. I still wish we could train more wide open run , run, run, turn but I can always set that up in my field. Of course it is raining today so probably no training today and it is suppose to rain all week pretty much so hope it dries out a smidge so I can set up the poles with a wrong course jump at the end to practice. That is totally a training issue and I can build more value in staying in the poles versus taking the jump. We have another show this weekend which will be the last one for the month of march but hoping to do at least one day of NADAC and lots of training/class before Mckinney. Deuce gets to see Heidi and I can't wait for her to see how well her baby is doing!

Here is the link to my best of video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IxVaVRgdLQ

No comments:

Post a Comment