Monday, March 7, 2011

training on a monday

I got out to the training field between rain sprinkles. I was hoping that I could do something at the field and lucky for me, the field was pretty dry. I wanted to work the weaves with something tempting at the end like a jump or tunnel so I could attempt to copy what happened in the trial. Sure enough, put a jump at the end of the weaves and he popped out every time. I had the treat and train after another jump that I had to front cross to get him over that was the correct option. I was driving to the end to get the cross, tempting him even more. I just used a "uh-oh" when he was wrong and when he did listen, he got to get his yummy cookie out of the treat and train. The weirdest thing was after a few uh-ohs, he would get to the spot where he was popping out and just stop. I had to break it down to 8 poles (my poles break into sets of 4) and work through that to get him over that. Then after he was listening to me and going the way I wanted him to, I started changing this and going over that jump that was directly ahead. Then after a few reps of going straight, we changed back to going front cross to the other jump. He did screw up a few times but started thinking and listening and doing right and we ended on a good note. I only worked on one side so tomorrow we will switch everything to the other side and see how that goes. I love it when we can replicate something that has happened in the trial and train it. I want to also set up the two jump lead out to the close end of the tunnel that we screwed up which was also a similar lead out as the jump, jump front cross teeter we had that was sloppy. All in all, it was a great training day and even ended with some weave pole games. I am hoping the weather holds out as it was suppose to rain all day today and it didn't so hoping they are wrong about the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment