Friday, January 15, 2010

deuce is in the house

I took Deuce to a friend's indoor softball facility last night. I mainly went to work Miller but thought it would be good for deuce to go and we could work on impulse control (YEAH RIGHT). I will have to say, while he was a barking lunatic when Miller was working and while he didn't want to hold a stay to save his life, i was overall pleased with his behavior. We got some great agility work in for sure. We were working on jump chutes with a curved tunnel. It was great work to just have deuce stay at the start line, be relased and then do some baby jumps. We have been working on go jump and go tunnel so having several jumps for him to do was great. We had them super low so i am not worried about doing any damage to his little or should i say big growing bones! He was sending very nicely and of course with little speed bumps, he was super fast. I did have him doing some here's out of the tunnel instead of just running back down the jump chute for control work. The next skill I need to work on is pulling out of the jump chute and coming "here" instead of just taking everything in front of him. He needs to listen! We also did a baby teeter that was very loud, so loud that even Miller jumped. I had him do the bang game with lots of treats and by the end he was banging it down, no problem. He is a little heavy to be on it as it was built for little corgis so we only did a few full teeters. I really enjoy getting him on different people's equipment as this broadens his little doggy horizons.

As usual, deuce's impulse control was at 0%. He got so excited to see everyone and would practically go nuts whenever anyone would come near him so that they would pet him. We seriously have to work on greeting people. Maybe next time, we can work on that more. I did take him to my vet's office today and worked tricks and stays but it was just me and him in the waiting room, so no distractions. Need to go when they are busier cause that is when he is the most distracted. We did play find it and he didn't seem to get it. He has a little stuffed chipmunk he plays with so i hid it (within sight) and then told him to find it. He sort of would search but when he found the toy, he would not get it or bring it back. He hasn't really showed any retrieving skills yet. If you throw something, he will go get it but won't bring it back. If you call him back, he will come back but will drop the toy. I haven't really worried about this but do want to track with him at some point so would like him to want to find stuff. I did put food on the chipmunk but that didn't seem to peak his interest. I guess I need more yummy, tempting food to get him to look harder LOL! The vet's wife, Kim, helped me work on greeting a stranger although she is not a stranger at all to deuce and he dearly loves her which makes it way harder for him to not jump on her. We worked on us approaching each other and him sitting while she gave him a treat. He was allowed to get up when she started petting him but if he jumped up, we stopped and i walked away. We need to do way more of this!!!!! I need to have everyone participate in this exercise. He is 40.4 lbs now so he is leaving bruises on me when he bounces off of me and could injure someone in his enthusiastic greetings. He is also still peeing a little bit when he sees someone he loves so poor Janelle and Jan got pee all over their shoes last night.

I did get some attention work in while other dogs were working. He was doing great with that, really didn't seem interested in the other dogs running unless they ran very close to him or it was miller. He still has a long way to go before he is really reliable on this and I do need to reward way more for good behavior. I also need to drag a crate up there so he can rest in the crate when not working. I am really excited to have this place to work and look forward to working with my new training buddies!

No comments:

Post a Comment