Tuesday, March 30, 2010

deuce's running a-frame



Okay so decided to go ahead and teach the running a-frame with Deuce. I may go back and do a stop as he knows his contact behavior so I know I can add it in at any time. At this point, I am not using a "method" per se, just kind of trying some different things and seeing what works. I already know a few things that don't work for sure. Throwing anything makes him pounce or watch me instead of where he is going. Putting targets out or food tubes makes him pounce as well. If the food tube or toy is too close to the end of the a-frame, he stops with his two on and two off. Right now I am putting him in a sit, leading out to about half way and as long as I am ahead of him and running, he strides through the contact. If I am behind him, he jumps instead of striding through. I am using the jump at the peak and keeping the a-frame low at this point. I just want him to run. I did notice after looking at the video, if I am running toward the house or toward the deck, he isn't driving as much but I think that is because I am not able to continue to run all out, am getting caught by the deck. He seems to drive more when I am running away from the house and have no obstacles in my way. I am not using a clicker at this point and not rewarding for anything other than him driving all out.

I start classes with him tomorrow night so excited to see what Lori has to help us with our quest. I am still doing a two on two off for the rest of the contacts as this has never confused miller. I look forward to learning and trying this new technique. I LOVE having a running a-frame with Miller, however I really did not do much training with him, it came naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment