Monday, February 7, 2011

Deuce is like driving a 69 camaro, Miller is like driving a chevy truck

This is my wrap up blog for the USDAA Casa De Canine trial. Boy, do I have alot to train and alot to learn. Favorite quote of the weekend is still, "boy that dog is fast, hope she learns how to handle him". I sure hope i learn how to handle him too LOL! I have forgotten how to handle, how to finesse a dog that has power. Miller is my steady eddy (AKA my chevy truck) and his speed is determined by my speed. If i de-accelerate, so does he to the point that he can stop on a dime if i do stop(hence most of our gambler's NQ runs). I learned so much this weekend about handling deuce that it isn't funny. I LOVE the challenging courses and loved learning all the things we are lacking in skill set wise. Just when you think you know, you are brought to a different level of things you don't know! I know I said this before, but I was just getting use to handling him on AKC courses and then USDAA hit and wow, i was humbled. Not that I thought I had a chance in hell at Qing on the GP or SC courses but wow, couldn't even function to pull out a Q in the regular starter's classes except an 8 obstacle course in Pairs! I would have been happy with just some weave entries or some finishing of weave poles. I know we haven't trained in at least a month because of all the freaking snow but I really thought he had a better concept of weaves.

Okay, enough whining. The positive parts of sunday's runs were, all contacts were good, he did hit the weave pole entry in starter's standard, his jumper's run was fast and furious even if he did get an off course, and his pairs run rocked. I think it was a tie for favorite run between starter's jumpers and starter's pairs. In jumpers, I had to send him out on a pinwheel that had an off course jump staring him in the face, calling his name and he read my movement and my cross and listened and came in for a nice tight line down to a 180. I mishandled the 180 by letting him jump the first jump SUPER extended (i think he almost landed in the timer's lap) By the time he recovered and turned he was running to catch up to me as I was trying to get into position for the next front cross and ran past the jump he was suppose to take and took the next jump before I could do anything. Oh well, recovered, went on with a rear cross instead and a turn into another pin wheel, nice long line out driving like he was on fire. I still don't think he is BC class but I think he will be up there very close to them when we get our shit together. Standard on sunday was my biggest disappointment and I hope I did the right thing. It was tunnel weaves and he got the entry but about 3/4 of the way down, the tire jump started calling his name and he decided, screw weaving, I am taking that tire jump. Well, got him back re-started and got the same behavior. Decided it wasn't worth fighting with him, had attempted them three times and that was enough so we left the course. All I did was say uh-oh and then we left and i put him up for a few minutes and ignored him. Got him back out, did a few jumps, lots of cookies for listening to the momma, cookies at the crate, good boy. Of course didn't have weaves the last two classes, so not sure if it carried over and of course, we are suppose to get more snow tonight so not sure if i will be able to get the weaves this week at all and practice. I hope this works, I hope that this doesn't stress him out about the weave poles but i do not want him rehearsing this behavior in the ring. The weaves are one obstacle to be completed as a whole, tough cookie that you want to move on to something more fun. I know it isn't an excuse, but Deuce has been on nothing but 24 inch poles for several months now so while I would like to use it as an excuse, I am sure it isn't.

Overall, very pleased with the weekend, would have liked to come away with more than just one Q but i learned so much and baby-D got tons of ring time. I would like to set a goal that we will go to USDAA nationals in 2012 when he is 3 and I will work hard to attain that goal. I look forward to running him again this weekend even if it is AKC and have decided to give up some AKC trials to travel for USDAA. I love USDAA and two trials a year just doesn't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment