Friday, February 18, 2011

interesting training today

I hurried home after work to get some training in. It had been a beautiful day and I wanted to take advantage of it. Wanted to work that hard weave pole entry and gauge where we are at with our poles. Try to introduce wires and gates but he got super confused. He wouldn't even try to get entries when I put the wires on and if I put them on the last four poles, he would jump out. Not sure what that is about, even tried leading him through them to show him that they weren't evil electric fences set to shock him. I then tried to use a couple of gates, which he tolerated better but still got a bit confused. Then I got confused trying to figure out where to put what and where he should go. I am fairly sure I have some form of dyslexia because I have always been bad about left and right. I think I almost failed that part of kindergarten:) Anyway, I was starting to tell him uh-oh when he was right and was getting super frustrated with myself and him so had to stop. I know that we have a long way to go training wise, but it is so frustrating that he was hitting super hard entries before the snow hit and now we are almost back to square one. If the poles are at 6 and 12, I can get to about 4 almost 3.5 or 8 or 9.5 before I loose his entries. He is really having a hard time wrapping around the poles. Is this a body thing? Is this a baby thing? I know he is a stocky aussie but he can bend, I know he can. I even tried just clicking for him going in correctly to pole one and wrapping around and coming back to me after pole two. I wonder if i can transfer this to something else because he was coming all the way back to me and then got stuck in a rut and wouldn't do the whole set of poles. Ah, the fun of figuring out babies. He was also popping out at the 1oth pole again, not as bad and I tried using wires which again, freaked him out. I would like to get my lateral distance again away from him and be able to trust so that I don't have to baby sit the end of the poles. I had that or so I thought but I have lost that. Probably because I started baby sitting them at some point and he got use to that. I have to be able to work sequences and be able to move lateral to get into position so he is just going to have to get over this.

Ended with some jump work on parts of sequences we did in class and was very happy. I was proud of myself for feeling more comfortable with what we were taught and being able to implement my end of the bargain. I did grab a jump out of the yard and plan on dragging it into the house as soon as Tony goes to work in the morning. I do think I also need to get Linda's articles back out and work some more of her drills again now that he is jumping full height. I also brought the hoop out for the upside of the a-frame as he is slamming himself into the up side almost every run now. This behavior seems to slow him down on the down side and is probably why we couldn't get a true running a-frame. He was a little confused but that will take time and muscle memory to stop that problem. I really am having fun, please don't mistake my blogs for whining. These blogs are like my training logs so it is more for me to look back and see what I am working on and what I need to work on and my thoughts. I want him to be competitive so I take certain parts of his training very seriously. I look forward to open practice tomorrow so we can practice some sequences in flow and at full speed and look forward to sunday when we are getting with some other baby dog owners to work our baby dogs together. I love agility and agility friends:)

No comments:

Post a Comment