Saturday, May 28, 2011

quitting, poison ivy, and 5 Ks oh my:)

What a day and it wasn't even an agility day!!!! I ran my first 5 K today and it was SO much fun. I am super competitive and have been training hard and trying to reduce my caloric intake (not going so well this past week thanks to birthday cake and beer). I have shed 13 lbs (put on back on 2 this week i think:() and have worked my way up to running almost 3.5 miles 3 x a week. I knew if I entered a race it would make me accountable and boy did it. I started out with probably close to 100 hundred runners and it was an adrenaline rush to say the least. Mostly women running, a few men but lots of mid age women, who I hope to look like when I get their age. I let the pack set my pace which is not good and all the articles I read said DO NOT LET THE PACK SET YOUR PACE, but it was just such a rush taking off with all of those people!!!! I looked at my stopwatch at 1 mile and i had run a 9 minute mile YIKES! My pace is 10 minute miles so I had to ratchet it back and slow down. Ended up finding someone running my pace and pairing up with her (she had a shirt on that said I am a drinker with a running problem;) and ended up passing several people in the end. There were four boards up with people's times and names and I am proud to say that even with hills, pushing my pace, and gassing a little bit, I finished in 31.46 with my name in the second board, second column at the top. I also won a bag of stuff in the raffle and afterwards my loving hubby took me to buy me a fancy watch/stopwatch since I usually run with a stop watch around my neck and it is a pain in the butt. He also got me some new socks since I have been getting ugly blisters on the bottom of my feet and a t-shirt. We had a nice brunch of scrambled eggs and sausage links and I ate half of a yummy waffle with syrup and butter thank you! This was such a rush that I have already signed up for my next 5 K which is the second week in June. Now my schedule consists of dog shows and runs! My hubby is even contemplating doing some of the walks which makes me so happy. He was doing so well with his weight but got off track and we need to get him back on that track.

Uh, this pred makes me so dizzy and icky feeling which brings me to the second part of the blog and how I tie it into the puppy blog. I got poison ivy something terrible out at the farm last weekend. Started out with a small spot on my leg and for whatever reason, morphed to spots on my neck, face, eyelid and in my ears. Finally went to the dr on friday and got put on steroids and they are making me feel very weird. Of course I am super thirsty and have to pee constantly but the dizziness and overall blah feeling sucks. Glad I waited till i got done running today to start taking them. Guess our mission this memorial day weekend is going to be operation hunt down the poison ivy and KILL. We need to do a good mowing as I haven't been using the field as much lately due to all the private clients i have had and teaching at all star. I wish we could afford a little riding mower so I could stay on top of it but we can't right now so will have to just settle for a bush hogging now and then. Ticks have also been super bad this year. OF course we can treat the dogs and I can wear a hat but I am still waking up in the middle of the night with ticks crawling on me, which freaks me out. Just pulled the sheets off the bed today and there were dead ticks in the bed YUCK! I guess that is the price you pay when you let your puppers sleep in the bed with you, you end up sharing ticks :p

So this segways into my third part of my blog which is quitting my private teaching. I think i already talked about this but blogspot is acting up and won't let me go back and look at what I have already written. After alot of thought, decided to let my insurance go and stop teaching under the name Emerald City Canines. I am still teaching for All Star so still teaching two nights a week on agility, but the regular pet manners clients were starting to eat up all my free time and there is yet another dog trainer who has moved into our area, who doesn't have a full time job and can work with clients 24/7. I am a little bitter BUT i LOVE science and could NEVER leave it to do strictly dog training. I had to sit down and cry this week because I had called all of my regulars and took down my signs last week and I got a thank card and the cutest dog mug in the mail from one of my regulars, which is super sweet. She even had a message engraved on the bottom of it and had her dog sign the card. AWWWWW! Just this week, not having clients has given me SO much more time for deuce and so much more flexibility for running. I really, really missed having this. Well anyway, need to get out and train baby-D so ending it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment