Thursday, June 2, 2011

puppy fever

We are getting a new puppy so i thought I would expound here as I am getting alot of curious questions. Am I crazy for adding yet another dog to our pack, yes. Is it too soon to add another puppy with Deuce just starting, yes and no. Two things, this is the last time this cross will happen so if I pass on this, there will not be another chance. This puppy will be my husband's newest agility prospect, not mine and Harley is 8 so it is perfect timing for him and yes, we are still pretty much in puppy mode from deuce. Will it be hard for me to keep my hands off of training his puppy, yes. I am a control freak and to let him do everything will quite frankly kill me but I have to try. We weren't very successful at sharing harley last time and that is why he runs so inconsistently and for the most part stayed stressed as our criteria is very different. I learned from a very good friend who also has a hubby that shares the same hobby as she that you have to just keep you mouth shut, let them make mistakes, and be there if they need you. The more you try and control the situation, the worse it will be. SO with that, if you see me walking around with a roll of duct tape for my mouth, you will know why. I do have to be fair to my hubby in that he as well as I have grown so much in our knowlege of dogs over the years of being in the sport of agility. We both started out as dog "owners" but not dog "people". We learned about feeding good nutrition, good vet care and good training and how that goes such a long way. He is bound and determined to teach a dog proper running contacts so I am going to support him and let him go down that journey. I prefer two on two off but he can always go back and teach that at a later date. I am going to have to trust him and let him have full control with this baby. Of course I will be there to guide him but I will be very careful to not exert my "well, if that was my dog". She will be our dog, don't worry, but I do want her to bond with tony more and to be "his" dog. Deuce is very much bonded to me and pretty much goes everywhere I go and does everything with me. He loves tony, will cuddle up with him at night on the couch but you can tell he is a momma's boy for sure. This is what I want for tony, a daddy's girl:) I will keep my blog updated as to when we know which puppy we are getting and try to post pictures. This is a another western hill's dog as i am very, very happy with deuce and with other western hill's puppies. Are we crazy, probably:)

No comments:

Post a Comment