Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 3 USDAA...a little tired

So i didn't need to be at the show as early as normal.  I set my alarm to 6:00 am so I could sit and drink my coffee and eat my breakfast and then head out.  Well, let's just say that I forgot and set it for saturday and not sunday.  Whoops:)  Kind of glad I wasn't in either of the master's games in the morning.  I had told them I would help at the table though and luckily had showered the night before so I was good to just get up and go.  Took my time, had my coffee still and still got there right as they were starting the first class (it is about an hour drive).  Only had three runs today which I think was actually a blessing.  I was pretty tired this morning and even with my belly band on was feeling a little sore.  First class was pairs and I had lori as a partner except when I got there, a pair had been broken so I was put with someone who I know of but don't personally know.  I explained I had a baby dog and she said don't worry about it but of course I still did.  I had the side of the course that I thought was more straight forward but apparently I wasn't on top of it so he took a wrong course right at the end, even though I was saying HERE, HERE, HERE.  Next course was standard and he smoked it and won 2nd place.  Great run, smoking fast, collected when I needed it and extension when I needed it.  Weave entry was awesome with a very similar weave entry to what he had had in pairs  He had bumped himself out of the poles in pairs because he didn't collect enough.  This time he collected better and stayed in.  Jumpers was last and I was not feeling good but decided to go ahead and run anyway.  Knocked the second bar for some reason but the rest of the run was good except the ending in which he took a wrong course.  Oh well, great weekend anyway.

Positives way outweigh the negatives.  He was collected every time I asked for it.  I did a lead out push today in standard and it was AWESOME!  His weave poles were really, really good all weekend.  I think he missed two entries and I think both times it was my fault for not giving him enough information as he really tried both times.  I will accept trying any day.  We only had one course where he flicked off and went on his on course, luckily it was gamblers so technically it didn't count.  The off courses he did in other courses were totally my fault by being out of position and not giving him enough information.  We ended the weekend with our AAD and our first master's Q in standard and our second grand prix leg.   The biggest positive was probably for the most part I handled with proactive handling and had confidence.  It really showed in the way he ran as he ran with confidence too.  The biggest negative was he decimating the broad jump both times.  We don't train with one of those big metal ascending broad jumps so I guess I'd better buy one.  He needs to be okay with me doing all types of handling moves before and after it.

 I am entering him in a USDAA trial in March and that will probably be it till august regionals.  I would like to go to St. Louis in July but that may be pushing it with a month old baby:)  I can wishful think right?

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I think he is finally starting to grow up a little! Of course for whatever reason I was feeling really confident and he felt that and ran like he was confident too. Ah, the mental game!

      Delete