Sunday, February 26, 2012

oh andrew

Yesterday was a beautiful day and we made use of it by heading out to the all star field and practicing.  Lori was in town (no I didn't kidnap her and keep her but it was tempting) and had a wicked course set up for us to practice.  It was so nice to do some hard, hard stuff again because it makes you appreciate the not so hard so much more.  I brought the screamer and deuce since it was nice enough that the screamer could stay in the car.  Practiced for a few hours, breaking down the course, working the puppies and then doing some drill work.  Man it felt so good.  Oh boy, I do see where I still have some major holes to fill with both dogs.  I really have just now started working stella in earnest and it was good to see what she needs to focus on (hello wing jumps:) Anyway, also ran Dixie, Joc's BC on the courses as she is still injured and can't run and I am running her anyway this weekend at the show.  She is a ton of fun to run but PUSHY like all get out and likes to rush and take down bars.  I now appreciate the fact that deuce does worry when his bars come down because she could give a rat's ass less.  I loved pushing her but the bars were really coming down when I did so, so need to find that balance with her.  She also has a very short commitment point where as Deuce's commitment point of needing information is SO different.  I started decel on this one part to give her the weave entrance and she would miss the jump completely.  There was an off course tunnel right next to the weaves so for deuce i had to decel so much further back to get him to check in and take the weaves.  With her, I could practically run right up to the jump and then decel and she would take the weaves every time.  So much fun figuring out other dogs.  She is super fast, about a gear and a half faster than deuce so man you have to be on your toes and get to where you need to be, no looking back.  I can also trust her a little more than deuce but boy does she like to push you on those contacts:)  She will creep down to the bottom and then explode off and if you are not ready, she will get a jump on you.

Also yesterday had a couple of instances where i had to release deuce from the contacts with the word here instead of Okay.  We were doing some snooker type maneuvers and if I just said okay, he was locked on to an off course jump and not looking at me at all.  When I said here, he immediately came to my hand and stayed on course.  SO, after many years of dragging my heels, I will use either here or okay to release him off of contacts.  This is the second or third time where I have seen the application of using that to get them out of obstacle focus and I am at peace with it now:)

The bad part about yesterday was of course being out of breath constantly and also having some BH contractions.  I had read that your uterus likes to practice now and boy did it practice.  I am a little worried because I don't need to be on bed rest, I need to work and make money.  So, today, instead of going out for our class at Joc's barn, I am going to take it semi easy here.  My back was killing me last night from running and I felt overall very, very tired, so propped my feet up, put a pillow behind me and got on the heating pad.  Back responded very well, didn't have to take any drugs or anything but then i woke up at 2:30 am with a splitting head ache and sick to my stomach.  Not sure what brought this on, had a little dull head ache when I went to bed but usually that goes away when i go to sleep.  Was really scared as nothing I did made it go away and I started puking which of course made me loose any meds I had taken (just Tylenol, don't worry:)  Finally ended up calling my mommy at 3 am and talking to her for a while and kept down some sinus meds that finally kicked in and made the pressure go away and helped me sleep.  Of course today I am super groggy but maybe that will help me slow down.  I don't need to be on bed rest and I don't want to stop running my doggies.  Perhaps shorter sessions of training are in my future.

Oh well, headed to the pharmacy to load up on some sinus drugs and some breath right strips just in case. And also, some chips and salsa as that is what I am craving right now really badly.  Will try and take it easy but that is hard for me.  It is 60 outside so at least will have several sessions of Frisbee playing and maybe some little drill work;)

No comments:

Post a Comment