Saturday, February 11, 2012

USDAA day 2 Grand Prix and steeplechase on MY!

Blogging really quickly before I take a shower and go eat.  Great day!  Worked the table all day again which makes me super happy.  I like being busy and if I can't course build, I need to be busy doing something else.  If i don't occupy my mind, I get sleepy or bored, especially on long USDAA days.  We had several runs today including our first time in master's standard, grand prix, steeplechase, gamblers, and snooker.  I really, really needed that last gambler's leg so I could move up to everything to masters.  I Of course it was the first run of the day and I hate needing the first run of the day!  It wasn't a straight forward gamble as the first jump had them angled right at the chute which was NOT part of the gamble.  I knew I needed to collect him before that jump so that he took it nice and collected versus extended.  He had to turn back to the teeter and then over a jump.  I had pretty good faith in his contact skills that far away from me so that didn't bother me.  The fact that they were coming out of a tunnel right at that first jump and in full extension that bothered me.  Luck would have it that we were coming off of the a-frame when the buzzer sounded so he was in full handler focus.  YEAH!  We got that last Q we needed and a HUGE weight was lifted off of my shoulders.  That and the fact that he listened the entire course, never flicked off of me, and got two weaves, two dog walks and an a-frame all with great contacts.

I can't remember what course we had next but I think it was snooker.  Totally almost missed my run because I wasn't paying attention and was working.  Had a plan but it wasn't the best, mostly tight with one go part.  Started out great but he went in the wrong end of the tunnel headed to the five in the closing so we didn't have a chance at qualifying even with two 7s in the opening.  Oh well, didn't need it and he still ran well.  Missed his weave entry but it wasn't the best set up, totally my fault.  We had to sprint from the last 7 all the way to the 2 and then flip around back to the weaves and he was in GO mode and I yelled his name to get him back around the 2 and i think I stressed him.  No refusals so we were still okay but I need to stop yelling his name.  he can hear me if I whisper DUH.

Grand Prix was next and a very tough course but a Q and our second Q for nationals.  He ran SO well, stayed tight when I needed and went when I needed.  He really ran like a big boy and never once did i have any oh shit moments or lost him.  He was super responsive and I LOVE that.  Great contacts and great weaves. Then came steeplechase.  YIKES.  He decimated the broad jump again after getting two weave entries and calling off of a trap without me yelling.  I am still not sure what happened but as we continued, he hit two more bars so it must have hurt.  Finished but was a little worried.  Not sure why we have this hang up with steeplechase but everything up to the broad jump was actually really good so I am in a weird way pretty happy with the run.  He actually did bend the metal broad jump:(  We walked it out and he seemed okay.  We immediately had standard next and again a very tough master's course.  He again was very responsive, going when I needed him to and collecting when i needed him to.    Until of course I needed to collect him so he wouldn't take a jump extended which again would land him right at the off course chute.  Guess what happened? I actually OVER collected him and he stopped without jumping the jump. GOOD DOG!!!!!!   I will take it.  Ended the course with one R but super happy.

I am so happy with this day, with both the Q and non Q runs.  We actually ran as a team and I am hoping this trend continues as I LIKE LIKE LIKE it!  I only have three runs tomorrow because I only can move up in the classes I entered in advanced in and so I only have standard, jumpers, and pairs.  I probably need the break, stomach is a little sore tonight.  Had to pull out my belly band to help support.  I seem to be feeling pretty good running other than being a little out of breath after my runs.  I can always wear two belly bands too if I need super support.  On to dinner and then bed.  Another long day tomorrow and more table work.

No comments:

Post a Comment