Monday, August 19, 2013

Back to school 5 K


This weekend's race was amazing.  I am still floating on air.  It's really cool how one good pace or tempo run can make or break you.  After this week's tempo run, my confidence was running on high.  Knew the route and had run it slow in 31 so I knew i could improve.  Stayed with BRF till the very end.  8:51, 8:52 and 9:34.  Usually my BRF is way out ahead of me and I am sort of in a state of don't go out too fast or you will bonk mode.  This time I just threw caution to the wind, literally.  I knew the course and I knew the course went a block from my house so if I couldn't finish, i could always slink off to the house:)  

I almost puked on the last half mile.  Funny yet gross story.    Around mile 2 I was having issues with i guess phelgm or snot in my throat.  Kept trying to clear my throat.  BRF finally asked me what the heck was wrong after listening to me hack over her headphones.  I told her about the "snot"  issue.  I kept trying to get it cleared out and it wouldn't go away.  When I hit about 2.5, it got so bad so I tried to do a big swallow.  I choked on it and then gagged on it and then starting dry heaving.  Luckily i got it under control but had to do a big spit right in front of everyone.  I  have no clue what caused it or why it happened.  Of course as soon as I stopped running, the issue went away.  It was very weird to say the least and I hope no one saw me almost puke.  There was a guy there, he got third overall, and he puked for about half a mile.  It was kind of gross running by it at the end. BLeh. 



The real funny part was that there were TONS of kids lining the finish line and they were all on my right side, the side that I had just spit a huge lugi on and was continuing to wipe my mouth with that hand, side.  I had to high five those little guys and gals with my left hand.  My hubby asked why the heck was I doing that.  I told him i didn't want to high five with the snotty wet hand!  What was even more funny was my hubby barely made it to the finish line to see me finish.  He said he saw the first people at 22 or so and then all the sudden, there I was!  He barely got the camera out in time to snap a pic.  When I saw the finish timer was sitting at 27, I was in shock.  I guess when I run, I can't do math in my head but I knew i would be under 30, but had no clue i would be almost 2 minutes under!  I finished in 27:51, My previous best was like 30:04.  8th overall in my very competitive age group and 18th overall female.  I am so EXCITED!  This race gave me so much more mental strength to know that i can do this and do it faster!    I have always held back in fear of bonking but even though I had to slow up thanks to the two big hills at the very end, I still made it across the finish line and in good time!  Now If i can keep this mindset for future races!  Next weekend is going to be a different ball of wax though.  Another 10k, a hotter forecast than the last two races and mile and a half hill to do at the very end that is the most elevation climb I have EVER run on.  I am going to take this one easy for sure.  I don't want to pass out on a course at all.  I just want to finish this one.  No goals other than that:)



I found this on one of the many running blogs I read now.  I am addicted, just like i am to dog agility blogs.  I really have a very addictive personality.  This really fits both dog agility and running right now.  Still trying to decide about classes.  Interest has been pretty low on the work shop idea but high for beginners.  Maybe that is what I need, one class of my favorite type of agility, beginners and foundation skills!  Then I can rent the field and work deuce.  I am still signed up for three shows and am going to try and eek out money for a fourth.  Then we shall see how it goes.  Not ready to give up yet.  Wasn't as sad about regionals this weekend as I thought i would be.  Really was enjoing all the FB posts and cheering people on instead of throwing a pity party.  Too busy to watch the live feed.  I did feel guilty more than anything that I couldn't be there to help.  I always have wanted a USDAA active club in our area and I feel like this is the only way to get this going, to be an active helper in everything they do.  There is talk of having at least 3 USDAA shows in our area next year plus the 5 or so that Oklahoma is having so that will be nice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment