Sunday, August 25, 2013

Speedy PD 10 K recap

Hubby and the munchkin are down for a nap so thought I would quick blog.  Yesterday was the Speedy PD 10 K out at tuttle creek lake.  Beautiful scenery for a race, large crowds and lots to do afterwards.  Supposedly there was also a kids day somewhere on the grounds of the lake but we must have missed it.  It was pretty hot so by the time awards and door prizes were done, andrew was heating up even in the shade so we decided to hustle on the to car.  Plus, I had won a 10 dollar gift certificate to the running company and it was burning a hole in my pocket.  And above all, I knew I needed some new socks.  For whatever reason, that race reminded me that my plain ole cotton socks were not cutting it at all.  My feet were raw from this race, probably because of the climbs.  My official time was 1:04:24, so a little bit slower than the last 10 K but holy hills, i will take it.  We had a mile and a half climb at about mile 4 and it was a killer.  Proud to say I ran, ever so slowly but ran, most it.  There was a water station about half way up it and I thought I'd better walk through it and get some water.  Had hydrated around mile 2.5 but there was NO shade on that hill and it was steep and went on forever!  Found some people who were going my pace and stuck with them till I couldn't do it anymore.
You can see me and robin together at the first mile, robin in pink, me in blue and a hat

This ract was definately a mental game.  I really think my body was okay but my mind started telling me I couldn't, that I needed to walk and I gave in to my mind.  I ended up walking three separate times but honestly I think if I wasn't in as good of shape as I am, that I would have walked way more.  I also saw other runners walking and I think that is like permission to walk in my head.  It was a hard race in many ways because they started the 5 K people out with the 10 K people and then we headed out and onto the main road while they turned back.  It was hard not to get caught up in their speed.  I wanted to go faster but kept telling myself that i would pay for it if I did.  My first mile was 9:25 which is a wee bit faster than I would have liked.  I settled in after that and was able to grab onto someone running my pace so I would slow down.  Of course my running buddies were long gone but I knew that would happen and I don't let that bother me.  They are both waaaaayyyyy faster than me and I know that.  Maybe in  flatter 10 K, i would try to  keep up but not this one.

The one thing that I need to work on, other than the mental game, is what to do downhill.  This race had about a mile down hill on a curvy twisty road and I felt like I spent more energy trying to go slow down hill versus just going.  I need to talk to my running coach about this.  I was proud to say that I did have enough energy to sprint across the finish line again.  The pic of me waving is about the place where you turned to go to the finish.  I also passed and stayed ahead of a lady that I am pretty sure was in my age group.  I ended up 35th or so in women and 13th in my age group.  Not the best time and finish but I am glad I finished and like I said only walked three times.  Need to work on my mental game for sure but I feel so much stronger.  This next weekend my mileage starts going up on my long runs.  Gulp.  Putting on my big girl panties and saying hey, it's only a mile more.  I never thought I would say the words, "thank god for an easy three", so I will remind myself of that when my mental game kicks in and tells me I can't.

Standing between two medalists in their age groups!  So proud to train with these ladies!
Right before I kicked in the jets
Turning and burning to the finish line.  I am so glad I had enough gas left in the tank!

The next two weekends are dog shows and the long runs get longer.  Just going to run on saturdays and then pack up the van and head to KC.  May miss a run or two on saturday but I know I won't run at the shows.  Next fun run is the color run in Lawrence.  I don't even think they time it but will have fun and run with my running buddies.  Then another 10 K in wamego which I have heard is super hilly.  Can i have ONE race that doesn't have hills PLEASE????

Body First booth.  They fix me up and I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment