Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The best tempo run EVER

This is what I sent to my running coach so Syndey, if you are reading this, it is an exact copy LOL:


I had to tell you about last night's tempo run. Our schedule is all discombobulated because of the 5 K on saturday, so we switched the tempo run to monday, the easy run to wed and then we will do our pace run on saturday and our long run on sunday (at super slow crawly speed :).  Well, I wasn't looking forward to running.  It had rained in the morning so we couldn't do our normal routine.  Running at night = no eating or very little eating and let's face it, I LOVE to eat:)  Anyway, got home, ate a couple of boiled eggs and waited. BRF had open house at work so couldn't get off till 8 or so.  Finally by 8:20 we were heading out.  The dreaded question was what pace. She is always pushing my pace and even when I say, this is what I am doing, she still pushes it but that is why I love her.  So i replied, I would like to go a little under 10 minutes, maybe around 9:50.  Set my watch and off we went and guess what?  First mile was a 9:24 and second was a 9:30 and i felt GREAT!  Had a cramp at mile 2.78 so had to walk a few steps (maybe the eggs coming back to haunt me?) but was able to finish on a 10:13.  I was SUPER stoked.  Finally, a great tempo run.  Side note, BRF was not feeling well and had to stop at mile 1.1.  I got so far ahead of her that i am not sure how her run ended.  We met back up at our starting point and stretched but she still wasn't feeling well and had to leave.  I really was floating on a high and still am.  Just had to share:)

Thinking about the race this weekend.  My  PR  for 5 K is 30:03.  The course is super hilly but thinking about pushing it.  Since it is in my hometown, if I bonk, I could sneak home LOL.  What do you think?

I would love to get a sub 30 on a 5 K.  Not sure if this is the course to try it out on.  Ran it the other day in 31 something but that was not pushing it.  The hills still haunt me.  I have this huge fear like every other runner that I will bonk and not finish.  Even when I have to do a little walking in a race, I still seem to get good pace (well good for me that is).  I just don't want to let anyone see me walk.  I once before kid or BK had a race in lawrence.  It was a afternoon race and it was super hot and super humid.  I went out way too fast and then struggled the next two miles to keep it going.  I had set my sights on passing and beating this one lady and so her and I switched back and forth.  I had to do some walking.  It was just so darn hot and I was embarrassed.  Well as I approached the final turn into the finish area, I had to run.  I thought I was going to pass out but I didn't want anyone to see me walking!  I can't remember my finish time but that was the worst race I have ever run and get this, I got a silver medal in my age group!!!!   So i guess walking isn't the end of the world but still, I would like to avoid it.  

So back to dog agility for a minute.  I am now signed up for three shows and will probably do one or two more this year.  I had a great long talk with my agility mentor/coach and we agreed that deuce's bar issue could be a timing thing due to lack of practice.  We did notice that his timing seemed off on several courses at the last USDAA trail so I think that could be a plausible cause.  He doesn't appear to having a jumping issue per se so we are going to go with that thought.  Now to figure out how to get some practicing in before our fall season starts.  We have been taking him on some of our runs to help him get into shape and playing lots of ball so I think his conditioning is getting better.  I have decided to try a new format to teaching.  I had planned on doing a six week class but on sundays versus during the week.  I didn't get great response, only three handlers total could come.  So I am trying a new format of little mini workshops versus a 6 week class schedule.  That way maybe those who couldn't commit to six weeks of sundays could at least commit to one.  This was all my mentor's idea and a fine idea it is:)   I am brainstorming on the best topics to cover.  The favorite one is usually contact and weave poles so will start on that one.  Would like to do one on international courses as well as they are SO much fun.  Now to think up four o more.  Asked the students if they had some interesting topics but haven't gotten anything back from them. Impulse control is always a fav but wondering if people could handle 2 hours of impulse control exercises.  Anyway, my hope is that I can incorporate him into the classes like I use to before I had to go straight from work to the field and maybe even get some drill work done before and after class.  I miss taking him as he is a great demo dog, usually for what you shouldn't do LOL!  

Not much to report on the kid front other than he wears me out and is highly mobile now.  His favorite thing to do right now is try and run.  He looks like a baby chimp when he runs with his hands up in the air.  He falls alot so we have had some bruises but he is so dang brave.  The dogs have been running into him more so we have to watch that as well.  I think they forget how easy it is to topple him.  This is my fav pic of him and stella right now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment