Monday, August 5, 2013

First 10 K back post baby

If you recall way back (back in 2011), I had just started training for 5 ks and 10 ks.  My very last race before I found out i was preggers and the morning sickness hit full force was a 10 K.  Ran it in 59 something or other thanks to my running buddies who finished and then came back and ran the last mile or so yelling at me to RUN. I was addicted to this distance and couldn't wait to start training for it again.  As soon as I was able and medically cleared from the c-section, I started back training for more 10 Ks.  I love that this distance is a combination of speed and distance.  

Post race recap of my first 10 K back, the Brew to Shoe.  We ran from the local brewery to the local running shoe and stuff store.  One of my running idols from wamego needed a ride so it helped alot to have her at the start line with me.  Even though she left me before the gun to get to the front, I didn't have any issues with my stomach and didn't have time to let my nerves get to me.  It was a gun start but we had to cross a very narrow timing mat for the time to officially start.  I was forced to the mid of the pack and to start out super slow, which was fine with me.  Found another lady from wamego that I knew had a similar pace and we stayed together for the first 3 or so miles.  We would high five at every mile and I kept her talking so she would breath and relax. First three splits were like 10:04, 10:15, and 10:11.  Felt good, felt like I had more in the tank to give.  I knew the hills started around mile 4 or 5 so wanted to have enough to get up them.  The first hill was straight up but I ran the whole way.  Was trying a different strategy of taking water at water stations and taking one good gulp. Humidity was a bit high and I had had issues with my calf muscles cramping.  Normally I just pass them by unless it super hot.  I hit the series of hills next and I made sure the water station before that one that i actually walked and got two good gulps of water in.  First hill made it up no problem. Second starting kicking my butt. We were at the end of mile 4 and I was hurting.  Ran half way up and then power walked to the top.  Got to the top, started running again and then had the GIANT KILLER HILL.  I made it about a third of the way up and just had to power walk the rest.  I think I had a fairly slow fourth mile maybe a 10:16 and then the fifth mile was around 10:56.  Finished strong even though I got a side stitch around mile 5.5.  Lots of cheering and spectators. Loved the man at the mid of the worst hill just cheering us on and telling us how strong we were.  Was an awesome feeling to say, yeah, I am powerful and guess what, I only have a MILE TO GO!   Actually sprinted the last quarter of a mile and crossed at 1:03:24.  My running partner was not entered but she was at the finish line and she cheered me on to GO GO GO.  Not my goal time but pretty darn close.  I think without those hills I could have been closer to an hour.  I felt really, really good and even drank the celebratory beer they were giving out (and felt like crap the rest of the day but good at the time:).  Next race in two weekends.  Have a 5 K and a 10 K the next weekend.  Hoping my legs can keep up with all of this!  That's why i get up at 5 am every morning and train right?  Just as I get my dogs massaged after a long day of agility, I am splurging and getting a massage tomorrow.  My legs are tight and they need all the help they can get.  

I am still amazed at how much mental running is and how much it is similar to dog agility.  There are little voices that tell you that you can't, that you aren't good enough and that you shouldn't be doing this or out there doing what you love.  I just tell them to shut up.  I am living a dream in both dog agility and running.  I am meeting some goals, falling short on some but training to get back up to speed.  Hoping deuce's bar issue is going to go away soon.  Proud of my running this weekend even though I didn't PR.  Can't wait to cheer everyone on at regionals.  Ready to get back out there and run/play dog agility:)  Next race in 2 weeks!!!!!  A very hilly 5 K.  Did the course today and did it in 31 minutes.  Need to push more and I think I can get it down. Next dog show end of august.  Ready to run with my baby:)


No comments:

Post a Comment