Sunday, June 19, 2011

learning experiences

Ah, my first three day trial with baby-D. I had gotten really use to just running two day trials with miller so this was my first time back at three days. I am really glad we did all three days though because Baby-D improved every day. Did we get a Q, nope, not a single one, even in FAST. I knew this would happen, seems to take an adjustment period each time we move up a level, even though we train at the top level we can in practice. Our biggest issue coming to this weekend was yet again, Deuce has kicked it into another gear so we are having huge collection issues, especially into the weaves. I truly believe he knows weave entries, just isn't getting collected enough to get in them at all. He is hitting second pole every time with this freaked out look on his face, like how did these get here? He is also still 50/50 on two jump lead out pushes. I refuse to give up on them though. He is going to get them or blow out my knees one or the other. I had opportunities to do rears into the openings with these set ups but chose to stay strong, make him collect and suffer the lose of Q if he didn't. Here are the positives and negatives for the weekend starting with the negatives and ending on the positives for a change:

Negatives: I can no longer leave baby-d in the hotel room while we eat. Bummed. Like getting my eat on. Even tried crating him with a peanut butter kong this time and still when we pulled up, could hear him in the parking lot. Had to get take out the other two days:( Hate to not get to go out with the group as agility is as much about the socialization of humans as it is of running of the dogs. Weave pole entries are 50/50 right now. He had some he blatantly didn't collect into and then he hit some at 100 MPH no problem. At least it gives me something to work on. Who knows what is going on other than he has kicked it up a notch and needs to figure out how to handle his speed. I am also having trouble in classes like FAST where I am racing to get points. It seems to send him over the edge and he starts shopping like a crazy man. He has to learn that we can both run balls to the wall and he can keep his head. Chalking this up to a baby dog issue that experience with take care of. He needs this skill for snooker, gamblers, and FAST. He gets the sends (well most of them) no prob, distance isn't a thing for this crazy dog. My timing, well, enough said:) Still seeing stress, especially when he misses weave pole entries and has to re do them. I do feel like at this point he needs to go back and get them. He seems to hate being wrong but I think that is a good thing. No video, need to remember to bring my camera!!!!!

Positives: Our runs got better as the weekend progressed. Much improvement. Feel like we are getting so close to gelling as team. I really like having three runs a day but really for this time wish FAST was at the end, not the beginning of the day. Weave pole entries were 50/50 this weekend and so were collection spots. He is staring to read lateral distance better as come with not continue forward. Need to work on accel/decel exercises. Need to trust my dog but doing better. Had the best jww run on sunday that left me so happy. Great crosses, great attention, fast, fast, fast, no reactive handling. I am very excited to have these problems even though I sometimes bitch. I have always wanted a fast aussie that has the skill set I desire and I think we are getting there, slowly but surely!!! His contacts are exactly where I want them right now. Driving to his position, no matter what, hanging on to his 2 on 2 off and waiting for release. Had one self release but he quickly stopped when he realized what he did. Couldn't hang on to one teeter, tried to bang it back down and reposition to the laughing crowd's amazement. Must stop using him for the bang game drill in beginner class. Was overall very happy with everything although a little sad as I am human. This makes the second (or third) show with no Qs in anything but I have to keep telling my self that it isn't about the qs right now, more about us getting together as a team. Still is hard when every other young dog right now is kicking ass in the Q department. Guessing we might be in Excellent A for a little while but making peace with that.

Next stop, Ann Braue's camp in Wisconsin for three days of agility goodness and then another three day show in July on sod indoors, yipee!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment