Monday, October 3, 2011

major runner's high!

Okay so I know it sounds silly but I am still on a major runner's high!  My first 10 K in the books and my time better than what I had planned YIPEEE!  It started out very cold, 41 degrees and dark as we left the house.  Luckily through years of running agility in horse barns and arenas, I have built up some cold weather gear that works perfectly for running.  As someone commented on my FB page on a pic tony took of me post race, "you look like a real runner".  Had to laugh at that one for sure!  The first 2 or so miles are nothing but hills and I had attempted to run this course before and it had defeated me for various reasons.  I had that little voice of self doubt in my head and it started screaming about 4 miles in, where i had to stop last time.  Well, I just told it to shut the hell up and kept running!  I had two friends who ran with me but they are super fast so they got way ahead of me around mile 2 and I just plugged in my head phones and jammed away.  I found a lady who had a similar pace and running style and we just hung out together.  Around mile 5.5, I could tell she was getting tired and felt the opportunity was there to pass, so I did.  My friends had finished in 53 so they came back to run with me to the finish line and make me sprint.  What was surprising was I actually had legs to do so!  I was so proud of myself for accomplishing my goal and look forward to my next race in November.  It gets a little challenging to schedule running with my dogs shows but I can usually find one a month that fits.  I am still waiting on the results but I think I crossed the finish line at 59:10 or something very close to that.  It was a very small race so not very technical in the scoring or timing so hoping they got it right. I had my watch going but didn't click it off till 59:33 and i had been standing there a few seconds.  I am very excited I met my goal and am really, really, really addicted now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment