Saturday, December 14, 2013

My year in running blog

A common thread that has been going on with running bloggers is your year in running.  I could also do a year in agility.  Maybe I will in the next post.  This one is going to be all running:)  There are questions I have to answer so here they are!

Best Race Experience: Most of the races I did this year were fairly small.  Mostly 5 Ks or 10 Ks and a trail run and a half.  I would have to say my best experience was my first half, the Rock and Roll St. Louis run.  It was big, but it was well organized, the expo was fun, and the race itself had nice scenery and some nice hills that were forgiving.

Best Run: Okay so i would have to say it is a tie between the best tempo run ever this last training cycle and my first 12 mile run right before my half.  That 12 mile run gave me the confidence that i could do a half and that I could do it way faster than I had previously thought. I did help that it was sleeting the last 7 or so miles, which helped me run a ton faster:)  The tempo run was the first time a tempo run felt effortless.  I smiled for days after both.


Best new piece of gear:  Oh boy, all of my gear is new because I have never run in the winter so it is a tie between several pieces.  My brooks headband is amazing for keeping my ears warm and it is so light weight and cute.  I also love my mizuno breath thermal tights and shirts.  I have run in feels like-14 degree weather with wind gusts around 30 mph and been completely toasty.  My last fav is my jacket that i got at the expo.  It is the perfect top layer.  Very light so doesn't add too much but breaks the wind very nicely.  I also LOVE my running leash.  It fits around my waist and it helps me maintain form and I can yolk the dogs together and run with both of them.  Stella can move side to side and I don't have to do anything or un tangle anything and I don't get any of the bruising I use to get when I tied the leash around my waist.

Modeling all four, headband, tights, leash and jacket.  Best part is that it is all matchy matchy and no, i didn't plan that:)

Best Running Advice:  Got so much good advice this year.  Hard to pick just one piece.  I think the best was from one of my friends who is an ultra runner.  He said that yes, have a good training plan but if you can't run all runs that week, don't sweat it.  Just have fun and it will come.  He also told me to take care of my body and get lots of massage work done.  To treat my body like I am an athlete because even though, I can't run a 5 minute mile, i am still out there running and pushing my body.  The third best advice was to get a running partner.  I have tried to train in the past and while i did have some small successes, I have been 100 x more successful this time and I give a ton of credit to my BRF for pushing me and helping me achieve my goals, while she slaid some pretty monster goals too.  


Most inspiration runner:  For me, my running partner.  She is 50, she is fabulous and she pushes me to be faster and better.  I so hope I can be that fit when I am her age.  She also did one of the most punishing races this year, conquer the Konza.  It was 15 miles of hills, rocks, streams and more hills.  Enough said.    I also LOVE NYC marathon mom.  I follow her blog religiously, celebrate her triumphs and cry with her when she has failure.  It was so exciting to follow her through her ironman training and her ironman.   Really makes me want to do an Ironman some day or at least try tris and do several LOL!

If you could sum up your year in a few words, what would they be?  Learning curve mastered!  Plans are key and so are good running coaches and running partners.  Okay that isn't a few but that is the least I can muster:)


I would like to add a section on goals because I am SO about goal setting.  I have done this my whole life and continue to use it in all sports I participate in, including agility, even if my goal is no goals LOL.  My goals this spring/summer of 2014 or the next 6 months at least are to run as many halfs as I can.  I have four planned.  I am still zeroing in on a goal for this fall.  I do want to do every race I did last year to see where I am at training wise.  I have already repeated one of the races I did last year and cut 7 or so minutes off of my time.  To be fair, I had not trained much and had just had andrew when I did this race the first time, BUT i even won 2nd place in my age division.  I would like to get involved in the local tri club to see if I can work on my swimming and bike riding.  I really enjoyed biking when I was injured so I would like to also improve my biking.  I have a fear of going fast, weird I know, but I have this issue with wiping out while going fast so going to have to work on that mentally and physically.  I also am trying to wrap my mind around a possible fall marathon.  I never thought I would say that but I am saying that, putting it out there so it is written.  So many people I know are running marathons this spring and they are inspiring me to run one.  The training will be not much tougher than what I do now but it will have to be a mental issue, trying to get over the thought of running for 4 or more hours.  I never thought I would run for 2 or more hours so it can be done.  Wish me luck!  Here is to a great running new year and no injuries!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment