Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Snow run



Had my first snow run.  I have to say, i rather enjoyed it.  It was much warmer and no wind.  There was probably half an inch on the ground and ice underneath that.  The only problem I incurred was the fact that they had bladed the road and it was down to the layer of ice beneath.  Anytime I hit this, I slipped, so needless to say, my pace was super slow.  As long as I could stay in the plowed snow banks (which weren't very deep), I could keep my footing and keep a decent pace.  I only had four on the books and it worked out well.  Stella was fine till about mile 3.5 and at that time, she started getting ice balls on the bottom of her feet.   Guess I am going to have to dig out Harley's boots that we bought for him when we lived in colorado.  I am looking forward to more snow runs.  I need to invest in some yaktrax or screws for my shoes.  My only concern is that i run mainly on pavement and gravel so not sure how those would do on slicker surfaces.  I can see where they would be beneficial on runs on trails where they can dig in.  I actually skyped my mom while I was running so she could see the snow LOL.  Got to love technology!  Then after hanging up with her, my phone shut completely down.  It had plenty of battery but I guess it got too cold?  I was having a good time listening to rocking holidays pandora:(  Didn't get as many snowy pictures as I had wanted to either.  Boo.  This is just a taste of things to come.  We are suppose to get more snow this week!  I will take the snow over stupid ice.  You just can't do anything with ice.

I also did a pace run this week on campus.  Won't do that again.  Too many stoplights, cars and slow people blocking the sidewalk.  Plus I forget how hilly our campus is.  Yeesh.  Even though the pace set was slow compared to what I normally run, I was really blowing hard at the end.  I did eat a very high fat, greasy lunch so that probably didn't help at all.  My job is stressing me out yet again but that is another post.  It is a good stress, a we have tons of clients wanting stuff done, so there is a line out the door problem.  The good news is, this week, we have been doing more instrument running and less time intensive sample prep which is allowing me to do things like run on campus and blog and such.   Nice to have a little downtime.  But we are having lots of software/computer issues which is out of my territory of knowledge.  Oh well, being busy is a good curse and I will take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment