Saturday, December 7, 2013

long run freezing my butt off weather style

I thought my last long run was a cold one but wow, was I wrong.  8 miles in feels like -14.  I feel like my gear is top notch, but my brain is still having issues with going out for runs in the cold.  During the day it isn't so bad but at night, my mind just won't let me.  Two nights this week I needed to run when I got off.  I had to work late and when I finally made it home, I just couldn't convince myself that I needed to go.  One night I just ran on the treadmill.  It was 30 minutes at a 10:15 pace with a 5-10 minute warm up and cool down.  I opted for the shortest warm up and cool down and almost poked my eyes out several times running on that thing.  I had the music going and the tv on in front of me and still couldn't stop staring the display.  What do you mean it has only been 2 minutes?  It's been an eternity!!!!!  Plus hubs had to coral the kiddo who wanted to join me and he was screaming bloody murder most of the time I was running.  Basically forty minutes of pure torture.  I really, really admire all the blogging ladies that love and embrace treadmill running.  I think I will have to force myself outside no matter what, unless it is icy.  
I think it works best when I just get up and go versus having all day to think about how cold it is outside.  That is what I did this morning.  Got up two hours before I needed to go out, fueled and had some coffee and then headed out.  Luckily, we didn't have wind.  Unluckily, the temp was -14.  Luckily it was up to 0 by the time we got done.  I really love my mizuno breath thermals.  I was not cold at all other than my face.  I double gloved this time, tech gloves on bottom, cotton on top.  I had my breath thermal shirt on with my brooks running  jacket on top.  Brooks headband, low pony and my mizuno tights.  This time I did wrap a scarf around my neck just in case I needed to pull something up over my face.  I did try several times to cover at least my lips and nose with the scarf but it never would stay in place.  It was funny, I decided to go to linear trail so I would have some sort of wind barrier.  There really wasn't much wind but my normal 6 mile route has NO barriers at all so I think it creates wind even when there is none.  Well, parked and started running and about 2 miles in, there was a huge road closed sign.  Huh?  They can close the trail?  Well, they did so, at least the portion that goes under the very busy road, so I had to think quickly.  I knew another way to get to another part of the trail but it meant running across a very busy four laned road.  We did so  thanks to a working cross walk signal, but by the time we got to the end of the trail before it headed back into town we weren't at 4 miles yet.  I didn't want to have to go back on the sidewalk to get to the next section of trail so I headed back.  I figured I could finish my run by running past the parking lot and down the trail a little bit the other way.  When I got back to the car, i was only at 7.3 so I had to run back down the trail for a while and then circle the parking lot.  I think my watch gets confused when I turn back suddenly so I feel like I probably did more than 8 but oh well.  I am sure the people in the business where I parked my van had a good laugh at me running circles around my van.  I just can't stop till the garmin says we are done.  

Tonight is going to be my first mommy's night out with some mommies I really would like to get to know.  I have a four mile run planned for tomorrow but it is like an 80 percent chance of snow so may get my first snow run in!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment