Saturday, January 18, 2014

Update on stella and coughing + running


An update on stella and andrew and that whole situation.  I met with a professional behaviorist and we agreed on a plan.  While i already had a plan in my mind and had talked to several dog friends that had agreed, I wanted a professional opinion.  Basically the gist of it is to create a positive association with andrew.  The biggest roadblock I think we will have is that the growling is random.  It's not always when he runs in the house or towards her.  It's not always when they are on the bed together.  It's not always when she is on a piece of furniture and he approaches.  We have been rewarding her for any and all interactions.  I have really been watching her body language and I am not seeing any tense body language, any stress signals like lip licking or whites of the eyes.  She does occasional get up and leave and i have been making sure he doesn't follow her so her desire to exit is respected.  I have also been really cracking down on andrew's behavior with deuce.  Deuce is great because he lets andrew do anything to him but just because he lets him, doesn't mean that I should let andrew do those things.  I know andrew can't generalize so i am trying to keep the behaviors around deuce and all the dogs the same.  So far so good so will keep you posted.  I know that we have been out of the house way more as when alot of the behaviors had happened, we had been stuck inside due to holidays and the weather.  This week we have been back at daycare and back on our normal schedule.  I think this has helped to give stella space and to give us time out of the house too.  We have also made a decision to not allow the dogs to sleep in our bedroom anymore.  This was a tough one for me because they have always slept with me or us so to eliminate this was probably tougher on me than them.  Now last night they snuck upstairs and slept with andrew and I when tony fell asleep downstairs but this whole week, they have been downstairs at night.  So far, it has worked out better than I thought.  I have slept better without them being in the bed (also known as lay on mom so she can't move all night time) and they have been getting peanut butter kongs as a compromise.

I was way to happy about running yesterday

Running has been pretty low key this week.  I had two speed work sessions and a 3 and 11 miler on the schedule.  I had started to feel sick saturday in San Diego and then it just progressed worse and worse.  Monday and Tuesday night I got very little sleep since i coughed all night.  I tried different combos of cough meds and pills and nothing was working.  I finally posted on FB and several people told me to try mucinex.  Well, mucinex is the miracle drug.  I still woke up whenever the drugs wore off and i started coughing again but 3.5 hour blocks of continuous sleep was wonderful.  I am still coughing today but did get a run in yesterday.  So I got my fartlek work in monday before the coughing got out of control and then tried running yesterday.  The plan was just an easy three miles but the dogs wanted to really stretch their legs and I felt obliged so i just ran as i felt good and ended up with a 9:20 overall pace!!!!!!  Today, the wind is gusting up to 50 miles an hour.  Driving into town meant both hands on the wheel and gritting of the teeth.  I am still holding out hope.  The weather man says the wind should die down around sundown so may be able to get a quick run in but we shall see.  We bought tickets to the women's basketball game so hoping I can run before we go.



No comments:

Post a Comment