Wednesday, January 1, 2014

GOALS FOR 2014

This one may take me a while to write so bear with me.  My running goals are nailed down but my agility goals are still iffy.  Let's start with what I do know.


If I have it right, I ran 7 5 Ks last year, one 5K trail run and three 10 Ks.  My goal this year is to do the same and to improve upon my times.  I would like to run at least one race a month to see where I am at.  For my 5 Ks, I would like to get my times under 27, maybe into the 26s.  I think I can do it, I am seeing low 8s on some of my speedwork runs.  I have had some 8:30s in two 5 ks but could only sustain that pace for two miles so hoping I can increase that to 3.2 miles.  I am also signed up to do not one but four half marathons in a matter of three months.  Three are part of the heartland series and one is Hospital Hill.  I don't think I can PR on all three since the series is pretty close together so my goal is to PR on at least one of the three and finish in one piece for the Hospital Hill race.  June in KC and hills may not be the best race of my life so finishing is a good goal.  For the fall I haven't thought that far ahead.  Part of me wants to do a full marathon.  Part of me wants to do some more halfs and let this be the year of the halfs.  I would like to do the KC half and maybe go to Tulsa this year and do the Route 66 half but fall stuff will have to wait.  I really want to see how my body responds to doing 4 halfs in three months first and see if tony is still working in Topeka.  I really, really need to train in the morning in the summer thanks to the wonderful Kansas heat and humidity.  If I can't do that or if tony is working lots of weekends when I need to do long runs, a marathon might not be in the stars for me.    I would also like to find a destination race we could all do again this year.  Maybe even a race where we could take stella and she could run with since she trains with me.


Agility is still up in the air.  I haven't had any time to practice lately.  I do take deuce on my shorter runs 5 or less miles, but it isn't the same as doing obstacles.  I am working weekends right now so lots of weekends i could practice have been out.  Tony was working 12 hour days so monday night classes were also out of the question as I couldn't get to the class and take care of andrew.  I wish we had more of the weekend seminars that Lori use to do but she is on the road a ton now teaching elsewhere and I can't make her monday night seminars in KC.  Then there is the whole money thing.  I only got one session taught this year, partly due to weather and partly due to lack of childcare for my kiddo.  It doesn't make sense to pay more for my kiddo to have daycare so that i teach and barely break even after paying for sitters.  I did have some wonderful baby sitters the few times I had to have them and I am grateful to them for stepping up so I didn't have to cancel class.  I moved my classes to the weekends thinking that would be better for me and for my students but in doing this, I lost more than half of my normal crowd.  I had hoped to get back to week night classes but I am still not sure that will work for me even in the future.  I have a ton of responsibilities at home now so nights are pretty tough for me to be away.  I use to be able to use shows as practice but now that the money is tight and I am back to having to use money out of my pocket, I  don't think I will be able to continue to do so.  Basically I have a ton of thinking to do.  I haven't entered any of the january or february shows and need to decide about the march shows.  I would hope to be teaching again by march so maybe that would be a possibility.  So the two things I do know are no nationals and probably no regionals.  May just do USDAA this year and not do AKC at all.  Still thinking.  I do think that based on Deuce's age, this should be our year to really kick it in brain wise, if I can get practice in.  My other two aussies really got it at age 5 and Deuce seems to be heading in the same direction.  I must make agility a priority for practicing.  There are some small possibilities coming up to maybe rent a place in manhattan with some other trainers but it is very small possibility and footing would be a major concern for agility.

My personal goals are to blog more than just once a month.  I feel so much better when I blog a few times a week.  I also want to be a better example to andrew eating and drinking wise.  He already wants to drink our sodas and eat the crap we eat so I need to do some more clean living.  I want him to grow up healthy just as tony and I did, not addicted to the fast food lifestyle that we currently indulge in.  I want to foster my hubby's hobbies and help him to love the sport of running even if he never does a competitive race.  I also want to stay more in touch with my friends, especially my agility friends.  I love them all dearly and even if I can't or don't show, I want to keep in touch with them.  I also would love to get more involved and find a home church.  Just the few times we went this year really made me super happy and made my heart sing to see andrew having so much fun in the nursery.  I want him to have a church family and youth group just like I did growing up.  My youth group was probably the main reason why I was such a good kid and lived a christ centered life.   I need to get back to that.  I am second needs to be a personal statement that I say constantly.

I am really excited for this year.  I am in the BEST shape of my life and feel like I am ready to tackle some major goals running wise.  Hope and pray to stay injury free.  Hope to keep agility in my life in some shape or form even if I have to cut back on showing even more.  Deuce is just too awesome for me to just give up.  Looking forward to another year of growth and development of my little kiddo. Hope to continue to get better at this whole mommy thing and let go of worry/ guilt/stress that my job is bringing to my life.  Just live in the moment and not worry about the future so much.  Here we go!!!  Hello 2014!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment