Monday, March 3, 2014

The coldest run EVER

I had 10 on the schedule this weekend.  I wanted to go out saturday which was the better of the two days weather wise.  Both days had pretty cold wind chills but sunday was suppose to have 8+ inches of snow to contend with.  I have always said, cold doesn't bother me, but wind does.  I have really awesome gear and I can always layer up if the wind is too bad.  The problem was I have never gotten a good answer on below zero wind chills.  I have read do it and I have read DON't and its hard to know what is right.  My hubby had just bought this really awesome face thingy that covered pretty much all of my face and I stole one of his big hats so it would come down over my face.  I doubled my gloves up and wore my usual mizuno base layer. I HAD to get out.  I had done 4 miles on the dreadmill the day before and all i could muster was an 11 minute pace so it took FOREVER.  I was lucky that andrew stayed asleep since I was by myself since mom had left and tony was working. I just couldn't do it again.

So I did what any type A personalilty would do, I read a million articles on cold weather running, tried to wait till it got the warmest it was going to get for the day and asked my coach and my body works guy.  Everyone said stay close to home, no exposed skin and be careful.  I am so stubborn and get so bored if I loop so I decided i would at least get in five by doing a down and back down military trail road.  It's not the best protected from the wind but i knew it would be plowed after our dusting of snow/sleet.  I figured I had done 5 before on the dreadmill so I could do it again.  That was the plan till i started running.  The wind was howling from the north, north east and my first 2.5 was due east.  I felt warm enough, oddly only my covered stomach was cold and the tops of my thighs.  At the end of 2.5, I had a decision, to commit to a 7 mile loop or go back and get just 5.  Since I had a mile going south I thought, I will just try this and see how I feel, i can always turn back, although turning back would be running due north into the wind.  I committed to the 7 mile loop and knew if the going got bad, i would just have to call my hubby to some and get me.  I did learn something new on my run though.  The airport, which is on my 7 mile loop and never in use, has a really nice porta potty.  I hadn't fueled properly the night before (two beers and junk) and I had tried to eat pasta for my lunch which was giving me indigestion even though I had waited 2 hours post eating.  I had to make an emergency stop and once I saw it, I was so relieved because I am not sure my bare naked butt could have handled that wind chill!  So nice to actually have toilet paper too:).  I ended up sticking in an extra mile and three quarters and then finishing up with a mile on the dreadmill to warm up.  It really wasn't that bad as long as I wasn't running into the wind. I am so ready for spring and summer running though!!!!  I am TIRED of this winter crap!!!!  I am officially now a member of the frozen eye lash club and the frozen nostril club.

 This guy.  He is going through a second baby hood I guess?  We have been trying to store all of his "baby" stuff and he keeps getting it out and playing with various toys.  He also has decided the pack and play isn't a baby prison and likes to play in it.  So weird.

This is the I am fixing to throw this at you face.   We really need to stop laughing when he throws stuff at us.  He has deadly aim and I have been lucky that it has thus far been soft stuff.  He started his new preschool today and as I let him into his room and took his binky, he took off running to see his new friends and never looked back.  Wiping the tears away, i walked away and hoped and prayed he had a good day at his new school.  Updates tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment