Sunday, April 11, 2010

bad, bad deuce part two and herding instinct test



Well, I am happy to report that Deuce seems to have passed all of his garbage gut, although he has had some pretty bad diarrhea all weekend. He pretty much work me up all weekend long needing to go out but wanted to play and seemed to feel very full of himself all weekend. I did crate him at night when were at the hotel as sometimes he gets very antsy when we stay over and he keeps me up by climbing on me. I just used one of my little cheap red pop-ups and he was a good boy, never tried to get out.

The show we went to this weekend was a huge cluster with agility, conformation, herding, lure coursing, and obedience going on all at the same time. Deuce got to watch his best friends, the whippet girls lure course and of course watched his big brothers run agility. We even took him over to the conformation ring before aussies went in and had lots of people ask where he was from and who he was out of. We also got invited to go do an ASCA puppy match but I just registered Deuce a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have a number for him yet. I did decide to take him over and get his herding instinct tested. It was 50 bucks a pop, but I knew he would love it and he deserved to get to do something other than just sit in a crate and watch all day. We were going to let him try lure coursing but waited for hours for them to get done so they would start the fun match and finally gave up. Anyway, he got to go under two different judges to get his scores and boy did he have a great time. I was slightly worried that he would be missing the momma when they took him in but you can see he quickly forgets i am not in the ring. Tony was video taping so a couple of times he came towards tony but the second time he was pretty much all business. He had a great, great time and I was so proud of him! 9 months is AKCs lower age limit for testing so he barely made it in. I got huge compliments from both judges!

I would so love to herd with him but have no where really to go around here that is reasonable or close. Then it comes down to the whole money issue of course. Would love to do multiple things with all of my dogs but it takes money and time and agility is my main focus right now. I know they have a sheep camp and several agility folks are going out to do it but I only have so many days off and I really don't have the cash to fork out right now. Oh well, maybe something will come along so that we can do more herding. Berry is actually my best herding dog of the group even though she is getting up there in age. She was my first aussie and I specifically got her to help me on the rodeo stock farm I lived and worked at.

No comments:

Post a Comment