Sunday, April 4, 2010

the one more syndrome

I had decided since we did so much yesterday that i would lay off and just have a good day playing and doing work around the house. I had alot of cleaning to do since I had been gone several weekends and of course the laundry as always had piled up. Some one keeps getting in the bed with poop still attached and then it mysteriously lets go in our bed so I have been doing lots of sheet and blanket laundry lately. I also had many big hair bunnies to clean up and then had to clean out the shop vac as it was full of doggy hair too. I tell you, I don't miss the carpet at all but it sure is a shock to see all the hair that gathers in corners and underneath furniture. I also cleaned the yard several times today. I have been trying to be very vigilant to ward off any eating of the logs and I was shocked at how much I cleaned today by just going out three or four times and doing a sweep of the yard. My dogs poop alot! I have them all on wellness but maybe I need to look at another food where they have less waste LOL! I did notice that the diarrhea I had previously been seeing seems to be less as well. Unfortunately, every day and every weekend will not be like this so I am glad for now I can keep it picked up but won't always be able to be this careful.

As the day wore on, I felt the urging to go do something with Deuce. I finally caved in and did a few running a-frames. He is four striding right now so I am happy with where we are at. I am excited to have Lori watch him in class and see what we need to change or if we are headed down the right track. He does act a bit different in class though so will be interested to see his a-frame in a class setting. I have really been working on distractions lately with him, making sure he is connected to me before I ask for some behavior and trying to get him pumped by doing "ready, ready, ready" before I ask for a behavior. I have been getting a few breaks with amping him up but you think about how they will be at a trial and they will have the juices flowing so might as well work on that now rather than later. Instead of just calling it good, I decided to work on rear cross/turn some more with the jump. He was doing great, great distance, great turning, really paying attention and I should have quit but the "one more" syndrome caught up with me. Well, it started falling apart fast. I was getting the turn before the jump or the jump and a turn to the wrong side. He wouldn't even sit either so I had to go back to just getting him to sit, then sending him to the jump, and then asking for the turn. As soon as I got one correct jump, I had a big party and quit. I have to remember he is just a baby and I shouldn't expect so much from him as it really cost me in training today. I hope I don't take too big of a step back as he was doing so well yesterday. I did later on do some circle work and even incorporated the jump and he was up and having a good time with that so I think he will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment