Sunday, December 18, 2011

2 x 2 day one

So i am going back and doing the 2 x 2 method with Deuce to try and build value on entries.  I bought a set of 6 since he essentially knows how to weave.  If I like the method, I will probably teach Stella this way too.  Since this is his blog, I am going to write about my training sessions here.  I am going to try and get 3 short sessions a day but we are suppose to get rain and snow for the next two days so I may have to do most of the training in our bedroom which isn't hugely ideal but no choice.  There is plenty of room for him to drive to his reward line as our master bedroom is pretty big.

Session 1.  Shaping the poles.  Well, don't try and shape two poles if you have already used poles for something else.  We used poles stuck in the ground for cik and cap so he immediately started offering wrapping around the poles.  He did figure it out that of course that wasn't what I wanted but it took a little while of him being really frustrated with me.  I had a flag out for my reward line and I started out very close and moved back as he started getting it.  I wish he was toy motivated as throwing the treat sometimes wasn't the easiest.  I hit him a couple of times and a couple of times he turned before I could get the treat thrown but overall I think it went well.  For the next session later today, I hope to move around the arc and see if I get him through the poles again.  I think that is all I will do today and will introduce the next set tomorrow.  Going to watch the video or at least the beginning again to make sure I am doing this right.  I am so worried about screwing this up!

Session 2.  Decided to move the 2 x 2 set upstairs in the bedroom so he could find his cookies quicker.  Of course that meant baby gating the other dogs outside the bedroom and stella being the little agility dog she is kept jumping the baby gate to join us.  Watched the video again and decided since he was offering going through the poles with alot of enthusiasm that i would go ahead and next session put the poles at 2 and 8.  Started out with them straight, did a few rewards, then put them at 2 and 8.  He seems to have the most trouble when I am close to 8 on the arc.  He still wants to occasionally go around the poles and wrap like cik and cap and then when he doesn't get rewarded, he gets frustrated and barks and then turbo offers behaviors.  I have to call him back and get him revved up beside me and then try again.  It seems to be so hard to not offer any type of lure.  I keep on wanting to help him when he is having trouble by stepping forward or saying okay.  When he gets stuck in a position, I just get him to jump up on me or play with him really quickly so he gets out of whatever position he is offering.  Am going to do one more session today and call it quits.  It is really hard to not want to do more when he is doing well. I am trying to keep my sessions 5 minutes or less.


Session 3.  Started in the bedroom again.  Was getting drive and hardly any of the wrapping of the poles.  Decided after a few tries that we needed to go outside so I could add speed.  Also started using the food tube so he could find the reward.  That helped with my throws as well so i got hardly any turning back and looking at me.  By the end of the third session, he was driving through the poles no matter where I was on the clock or which side he was on.  Tomorrow, will add two sets of two.  Will probably be back in the bedroom since it is suppose to snow and rain.  This method is cool because it does let them reason through problems and let them think of the solution themselves.  I am sure using the channels and channeling them in out is kind of a crutch to them in a way. This is why I didn't use wires or gates when teaching deuce weaves originally as they are all crutches in their own way and hard to fade.  I am keeping my fingers crossed we have as much success in the future! Really wish there was some one local to work with that could help me make sure I am doing it right!  Deuce has it, I am the problem child!

No comments:

Post a Comment