Sunday, December 18, 2011

NADAC day

I decided to go and play NADAC for a day just to see how deuce handled their weave poles.  I had forgotten they put hoops in every class now and that they didn't stake down the poles anymore.  We had a round of touch and go, a round of weaves, two rounds of standard, jumpers and chances.  Touch and go was funny because deuce didn't realize that big black rubber sheeted thing was the a-frame.  After he did it once he figured it out but I wish I had had someone video taping him and the look on his face when he approached it.  He also really didn't think the hoops were anything to be done.  I didn't want him jumping them  and had put him through the ones in the practice area, but he still didn't really get them which sucks because it screws up your handling when you have to baby something.  SO the first run was kind of a wreck, me trying to get him through stupid hoops and him not seeing them at all sometimes.  We still managed a Q LOL!

The second round was weaves and i was excited to see how he handled tunnels to weaves.  We had three sets of weaves to accomplish and he missed the first two sets on the first try.  They were coming straight out of tunnels but I was decelerated standing there telling him go weave and he wasn't even trying.  He got the third set as it was a gentle curve into them and he wasn't running top speed so he got a HUGE verbal YES, good dog.  I was still very frustrated with his run.  He didn't Q because the last tunnel went straight to the alley way out and he just couldn't stop and ran right out of the ring.  Doesn't matter, doing this for fun so the Qs are nothing to me in this venue.  It was more the fact he didn't try AT ALL to get the entries.  Next run was standard so decided to try the one try and you are done method.  Again, the poles were after a nice gentle curve so no reason why he should miss them.  I was telling him go weave two obstacles back.  He blew past them right into the second pole.  I called him back, put him in heel position and we left heeling out of the ring.  He had this very surprised look on his face and was even more surprised when he was promptly put in his crate without any of his normal post run cookies.  I had taken stella with me which was a good thing because I got her out and played with her and lavished her with praise and cookies.  We even went for a nice long walk without deuce at all.  Came back and ran round two in which the course was reversed, putting the weaves as the second obstacle.  The hoop was the first so he had a very clear view of the weaves and I led out just like i normally would and released and said go weave.  He NAILED them!!!!  Of course I tried to set him back far enough that he had some speed coming into them but it wasn't like the speed he has on course when they are further in the course.  We had a big verbal party and went on to smoke the course and win a first with a great time and a great YPS.  Of course it was novice and nadac but it was fun to have a good run.  This is why i get frustrated though because I know if he had his entries, we could be up there with the good BCs in time and placements.  The next two runs didn't have weaves as they were jumpers and chances.  He had a great run in jumpers with another YPS over 6 and a second place to one of the most awesome goldens in our area.  Chances was a wreck and probably shouldn't stayed so late just for it since i am not serious about NADAC but i had paid my money and didn't want to waste it.

I wanted to go back today and run standard again but when I got up, my body said no way jose, so I just went back to sleep.  Of course thanks to stella, only got another hour of sleep but it was worth it.  Today deuce and i embark on our two by two journey.  I bought a set of 6 poles in the 2 x 2 configuration and they guy had them in his truck so was able to bring them home with my yesterday.  I am still leery of the program, not because it is hard, just because I am scared of screwing it up and screwing him up.  I have the DVD and the articles from clean run but like to have someone in person showing me every step of the way.  I have two weeks till my next show so hope i can have some progress by then.  I may drag them upstairs into my bedroom or take them with us to the house we will be staying in while our floors are being done.  They are suppose to be done with the dining room floor by tuesday or wed and then start on the living room floor by thursday.  I just hope they can be done by christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment