Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First day of Fall YIPEE!



Today is the first day of fall and it feels like winter in our house! We left many of the windows open last night and it is 49 degrees outside and 64 in our house! I think I slept really good with the cold air coming in. Deuce was really restless last night so he got banished to the crate instead. He actually got in the crate when we were getting ready for bed and I should have just left him in there. He was actually awake for longer last night, didn't crash so early so I think that helped him and the rest of the dogs sleep till 6 am this morning. Am looking forward to going on my morning walk since we didn't get to go yesterday morning due to the storms. It is really cold but the boys need to get out!

Yesterday was Deuce's rabies shot visit and check-up. He did great with the shot just like he did last time but the vet was concerned that he isn't gaining weight. He has been 14.2 lbs,14.6 lbs, or 14.9 lbs so not really gaining weight. He suggest to mix puppy food with his food and just mix a very small amount like a third of a cup to try and boost his calories. It is really hard to tell if he is skinny or not because he is still so fluffy! I like dogs a little skinny but don't want to compromise his growth so I am increasing the amount of food he is getting. Here I thought I was overfeeding him as he gets treats in training, his normal food, a chewie in the am, and lots of kibble in his buster cube! After thinking I was a really bad dog mommy, I called Heidi and she reassured me that everything was okay. We are increasing how much he gets of the adult food and now I don't feel guilty about all the treats he gets in training. As usual he loved seeing everyone at the vet clinic and got to play with Cecil and Chloe who were less than thrilled with him wanting to play.

Today on the training docket is more and more of toes. I am also using a big food bowl turned upside down on the carpet since it doesn't wobble to try and help him understand toes as well. He is getting better, but just wants to either straddle the bowl or the wobble board or sit on it. We also started working on turn the last few days and I have also decided to work spin as well to help keep him flexible. So far he doesn't seem to have one side that is not as flexible turning or spinning so I am going to keep it that way. I also need to work more on wait today and need to get him out to work more on him not jumping on people for pets. This is really hard for a puppy because everyone wants to pet a puppy and then almost encourage it but I need to nip it in the bud now before he is a big boy. Well, going to get off of here and get dressed so we can go for our walk. I will be glad when it is lighter earlier so we can go for longer walks.

No comments:

Post a Comment