Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's almost friday

Deuce got to be a lab rat yesterday for a physiology lab in the biology department where I work, so that was the excitement for the day. I had PT at 11:30 and then came home, ate lunch and grabbed Harley and Deuce and went back to campus. I was kind of worried because Harley stresses about where i work for some reason and I really didn't want deuce to be worried or have a bad experience. I think Harley doesn't like the super slick floors and that is why he gets so uptight when we are there. I packed a bag full of toys and rawhides for them so they could hang out while I worked. I posted the video of us free shaping the down. Thought while I was waiting on my PCR that we would work it and he got it but is so mouthy! He does this at home when we are working on behaviors and it is so funny! Anyway, we went to class and got to listen to the lecture about bones and locomotion which was very interesting. Each lab group got a dog and talked about the difference between a prey animals leg anatomy versus the leg anatomy of a carnivore. They also got to take heart rates and do a study with resting heart rate versus active heart rate. I think they were suppose to compare the different heart rates of the different breeds of dogs as we had big dogs and little dogs too. Deuce was great with his lab group, but harley was a goofy dog as usual. He decided that they were trying to kill him with the stethascope and would practically collapse when they tried to listen to his heart. He is such a drama queen sometimes. He also wouldn't run on the slick floor so that they could get a good active heart rate and I had just had PT so didn't want to run myself.

Speaking of PT, let me digress a moment. I bumped PT up to three sessions a week per the PT suggestion. I now how a strain in my other quad from some exercises we did on monday. I am so frustrated right now, I could scream. He keeps saying that it won't tear anything if I continue to be active so thinking I might start exercising again. I am packing on the weight as we don't eat very well and exercise really helps me keep thin. I feel like I am not improving so I might as well just do stuff my way. My leg is not really feeling much better and I feel like this is they way my leg is going to feel for the rest of my life. I have been off of running for almost two months and I miss it. I miss how I feel when I am running and I eat a hell of lot healthier and drink alot less when I am running. I could at least walk to start out with to get back into some sort of shape. If this is not really ever going to get better and the pain is manageable, then why not?

Okay back to the puppy. I think Deuce had a really good experience yesterday but the group did say he was worried about where i was. He is really starting to mellow around other people, even tony and that worries me a tiny bit. I am very bonded to him and I want him to be a mommies boy so that he will work for me, but I don't want him to have separation anxiety. I working really hard to not feed into the freak out that is him when I come home. He has to sit to be petted when he gets in that frenzied state and even though it seems really hard for him to do, he will sit for a millasecond so i can pet him. The itching I talked about the other day on my blog seems to be getting worse so I will bring that up with the vet when he goes for his rabies shot. I did not get him bathed the other day so that might help too. There is always a fine layer of dust on everything after he has been in the ex-pen all day from his litter so that might be bothering him.

On and on another note, Miller has started really acting out lately. He has begun to eat food off of the counter. He ate a package of hamburger buns yesterday off the counter. He is also stealing the puppies rawhides on a regular basis. I have locked up all dog type food but guess we we are going to have to get everything put up. I hate to think we are going to have to crate the other dogs during the day but if they keep on doing weird stuff like pottying in the house and eating food off the counter, then that is what we will go to.

Today's training will probably be working on sit in different places, down, more work on toes (back feet on the balance disc) and feet (front feet on), and more here (touch my hand). We will be introducing turn here soon too as he gets better at following my hand. I also need to start incorporating some tricks too like shake and roll over. Am still trying to decide what to do about the Karen Holick seminar. It is a one day puppy seminar but it is 200 bucks for one day. As amanda put it, I will get lots of building blocks for training even though he won't have the attention span at that point to do a whole day of training, but am wondering if I can just get those building blocks from Lori and or videos that cost way less. I have high expectations of course of what I want and don't want, since I have trained three agility dogs now. I want independent weaves for sure and independent, reliable contacts but I think I know how I am going to get those. I am still trying to figure out what to do about the Ann Braue seminar too. She is having a two day puppy seminar in November, but it is the same weekend as our local USDAA trial and they don't have very many of those so need to go to that instead. Was thinking about just auditing that one but still not sure.

Okay, time for a walk, the sun is finally coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment