Monday, September 7, 2009

Things I have learned, Day 1


Well, Deuce has crashed again so I thought I would share things I have learned today. It has been six years since I have had a puppy so having to remember alot of stuff I had conveniently forgotten! BTW, blogging should be easy because his favorite spot is under my computer chair!

1. Puppies like to get up really early. If you are lucky, they go back to sleep, but if you aren't, the you are up really early too! I can get up early but prefer to get up, feed the dogs and then go back to bed, but this will have to change. I can tell at this hour that I got up really, really early.

2. Puppies pee and poop alot. Thank goodness I have a puppy that either goes in his litter or indicates to me that he needs to go. All the times he has needed to poop today, he has barked at me and I have taken him out and he has immediately gone. Good puppy! The litter box I have by the back door does not seem big enough so he mostly gets his front feet in and then pees, which goes all over the floor because his back feet aren't in but I still praise him for trying. The litter box is in the kitchen on the fake hardwood so I don't care if it ruins, we can replace it. I just wipe it up and use some vinegar and water to remove the smell.

3. Puppies are so much fun to train! I started getting Deuce use to the clicker today and actually started shaping some behaviors. I have been fostering for so long and have not had a true blank slate in so long that it is refreshing to be able to not deal with any baggage. I also got the coolest balance disc today that I can shape behaviors on while working on his balance which will help when he starts agility.

4. Big brothers are the best. Harley has come around some what and even played with Deuce this morning and some this afternoon. I made sure I got video of them playing as proof!
Harley seems to have lost his patience this afternoon but I think that is because I did some one on one training with Deuce and had to shut him in the house while I did. He was not happy even when I let him out and did some shaping with him with the balance disc. Miller still ignores him for the most part but did get after him this afternoon for no reason. Miller has started doing this to other dogs, almost as a grumpy old man so maybe his age is starting to show.

Well, Deuce is stirring now so better go and play again. Here is hoping that he sleeps till at least five thirty tomorrow morning!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment