Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Now I feel a little stupid

I took Deuce to the vet yesterday to have him looked over. It was time for his last set of puppy shots and he wasn't previously feeling well so didn't know if we needed to just examine him for what was going on or give shots or what. He seemed fine when I came home, had not thrown up and was very perky so we decided to go ahead and give him his last set of shots. My vet did do a fecal on him to check as we have had some giardia going around and they did find two suspicious looking cyst like objects in his fecal float so we decided to go ahead and treat him. I am going to take him in today to bathe him and then will bathe him when he is done with the treatment. We haven't noticed any problems in the other dogs so we are just going to wait and watch them and treat accordingly. Giardia is so widespread and is everywhere so it is not a major concern in my book. The funny thing was, his poop was full of hair and the vet asked me why that would be and I remembered as I was grooming berry on sunday, deuce was running around eating the hair. That would probably explain the puking! I didn't really examine the puke as it was 5 in the morning, but I bet it was full of hair too! Boy, I feel stupid!

On to miller. My vet looked him over yesterday so he would have a better feel for what was going on to talk to KSU or whomever we end up going to. He watched him gait for quite a while, both walk and trot and then watched the videos I have posted on youtube to see how he normally runs and how he ran at Lincoln. He did some manipulations and we decided that it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and do a hip x-ray, just to rule stuff out. I am also going to get him started on Duralactin, a natural pain supplement, and some JD dog food just in case. He did previously throw up when I tried to supplement him so I am hoping he doesn't have an aversion to the supplement source. I am going to try everything in my power to get him well, but am also going to be very realistic about nationals.

I feel like I haven't been doing much training with the puppy lately as my mind has been elsewhere. We have done lots of just everyday training (sits and downs and waits), but I need to get back into my foundations. I asked for toes today as we were walking and he looked at me like I had lost my mind. Need to get back to work with him for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment